At Mayfield School we aim to provide total communication. This means that pupils and staff are encouraged to use every available form of communication, with particular emphasis on what is relevant to individuals. Each student will be exposed to an active total communication environment at all times.
Total Communication includes a wide range of strategies and devices. This can include:
- Intensive Interaction strategies
- Gestures, body language and facial expression
- Objects and sounds of reference
- Makaton signing supplemented with Sign Supported English
- Single Message Communication Aids and more complex aids e.g. Boardmaker Activity Pad and Electronic Aids
- PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System)
- Transition, objects of reference, visual timetables/schedules
- Communication passports
- iPads - including Proloquo
- Eye Gaze
We have a team of professionals who work together as ACT (Access, Communication & Technology Team) who work to ensure children and young people have Personalised Communication.
All staff have a high level of expertise and experience in making the most of all technology.
The use of new technology including iPads are now an integral part of our learning. We strive to make the most of new and innovative opportunities for our children and young people and lead the way in this field.
Omi Vista which is an interactive projection system is providing a new and exciting multi sensory experience.
We work together to ensure all children and young people have personalised communication programmes that they can access in all areas of learning across the curriculum. We believe that our children and young people have an entitlement to resources of the highest quality.