What is it?
Work Experience at Sixth Form offers students the opportunity to develop their understanding of the world of work. We try to offer students a range of experiences to empower them to make choices in the future. We teach our students that work can be varied; from voluntary, through to paid work. We offer a range of sessions over a 3 year rolling programme within Sixth Form, all supporting students with their independence and future plans.
Why we do it?
Work Experience in our Sixth Form provision covers a range of learning opportunities and experiences. These include participation in:
- Gardening and Horticulture in the school garden and grounds
- Input from partners such as Inspira, Cumbria LEP and Cumbria Youth Alliance
- Virtual meeting with local employers
- Duke of Edinburgh Aware in the community
- Work visits to local employers
- Work experience at trusted and familiar work place settings in the community or in school work opportunities (e.g. office work, site maintenance, working with younger students)
- Work related learning through participation in Enterprise Projects
- Work related learning through Asdan Accreditation
What impact has it?
- Students develop their confidence when applying their knowledge of the world of work.
- They gain life skills, including communication with the public and unfamiliar people.
- Students also gain an insight into possible future employment opportunities.
- Students gain understanding of earning potential money – This is mainly taught through the enterprise projects.
- Students develop their understanding of the routine and professionalism involved in having work and preparing one self for work.
- Students develop an understanding of working as a team, taking and giving instructions through effective communication.
- Students develop an understanding of the challenges and achievements possible when working together as a team
We thank all of our Community businesses and establishments who have supported our students to develop their experiences of the world of work over the past few years.
- Cumbria Youth Alliance
- Cumbria Local Enterprise
- Cumbria Work Experience